Sunday, May 5, 2013

Journey to the Race: Day 49

I'm a big believer in starting with high standards and raising them. We make progress only when we push ourselves to the highest level. If we don't progress, we backslide into bad habits, laziness and poor attitude.
-Don Gable


Today was another official training day. Thankfully it's in the morning so we get the workout done before the unbearable heat starts. Today we did:
1 jog around the park
1 jog around the park with 3 sets of 10 walking lunges
1 jog around the park sprinting up the hills
25-50m army crawl
5 pull-ups
10 swing outs
10 sand bag tosses
25-50m wheelbarrow
10 sprints up a steep hill
1 run up a long hill carrying a sand bag
1 run up the hill without the sand bag

It was a long but good workout. The run with the sand bag wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I'm very glad we did that run first because by the second time up I was tired. The army crawl was harder than I was expecting and I now have a rash all over my knees so hopefully that'll go away soon. I can already tell my arms are going to hurt tomorrow as today had a lot of arm exercises. I'm' extremely glad we got it over with in the morning but I have a feeling today it going to be another very hot day when I would rather not go running in 30C (90F)weather.

Once I was home I decided to do a quick ab workout in which I did 20 crunches, 30 bicycle crunches, 20 reverse crunches, 10 jackknives, 20 in and outs, 10 hip rock & raises, 10 v up/roll up combo. This also included some snuggle time with my cat as she loves to check out the mat and sleep alongside me while I'm doing crunches.

Overall, great workouts and I'm going to spend the rest of the day relaxing most likely. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!