Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 12

Last day here! It feels like forever! We woke up around 10, thought we’d leave at 1030 but ended up leaving at 1130. Jess gave me some pita bread and peanut butter for breakfast and I made a lunch for us with it as well. We went out to the East coast to do the sea grass experiment part 2 which didn’t go all that well since none of us could find our patches of grass in order to measure the growth. And I stepped on a crab hole that the crab was in so he pinched my toe. I also stepped on many rocks, pieces of dead coral, and many other uneven, sharp, and painful things. Really made me wish I had brought water shoes for that experiment. And there were chickens on the beach, I’ll never get used to seeing chickens on lawns and beaches. After the experiment we headed to the Welchman Gully where we went on a 45 minute guided walk to learn about the plants and stuff. It was so beautiful, it’s like a tropical rainforest there. We saw bamboo, nutmeg, lots of beautiful flowers, some crazy looking trees, caves. And there are these non-native snails that they’re trying to get rid of so Kyle kept stepping on them. They made this awful crunching sound then a pop and it was rather disgusting. At the end of the trail there was even a lookout point which was breathtaking, you could see all the way to the east coast. I took loads of pictures. We headed back to the hotel and then I met up with Lauren, Gaby, Emily, and Kyle to go to the institute to get internet and work on the labs. We stayed there for an hour or so then took the bus back to the hotel. Once back at the hotel I read and finished a book, made myself some ramen noodles which were surprisingly really good, and then uploaded my pictures and watched a few episodes of Lie to Me from the first season. My roommate headed out to Lexi's with soem fo the other girls but my foot had really started hurting so I went over to the teachers' room. I thought I had seen something there like a splinter but I wasn’t sure so I figured I’d ask them to check it out. I had stepped on many painful things in the morning at the sea grass experiment with all the rocks, coral, etc. Turns out there was a piece of a thorn of some sort in my foot. So JP got tweezers and a needle and proded, poked, scraped, etc until it was out. Wow did it ever hurt. But at least it was out and there was polysporin and a bandaid on it. Then I was just chilling in my room when I heard people at the pool so I went to check and sure enough there were there. They must have seen me because a minute later Jen and Roman were at my door asking me if I wanted to join the others for swimming. I said sure so I headed to the pool where we had chicken fights. Turns out I have a strong grip because Gaby kept commenting on how she couldn’t get a grip on my since I kept holding onto her instead, I couldn’t stop laughing. Then everyone kept picking up Gaby and spitting water in her ears lol. The movie 2012 was starting in Jen’s room so most people went to watch that and I went back to my room to pack. I showered then listened to music and packed until around 1am then did the dishes and Jess (my roommate for the trip) and I headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment